It’s always smart to bring your resume to an interview . Except there’s always that silly moment right after you print it out when you think, “But what do I carry it in?”
It’s true, I’ve had plenty of these situations—which is why to several interviews I’ve taken beat-up notebooks with doodles on the front, or in an embarrassing instance, an old folder with my college’s name scrawled on the front.
So, to ensure that all your most important meetings are approached in style, I’ve compiled a list of portfolios, padfolios, folders, and document holders that fit the bill. You can’t help but get compliments carrying one around.
Note: Like your interview outfit, you’ll want to consider the vibe of the company when making your selection. Pretty established joint? You’ll want to stick to something basic and professional. Creative agency or casual startup? Go right ahead with something that shows your personality.
1. For the Numbers Guy: Calculator Padfolio , $15
To highlight the most important aspect of your resume .
2. For the Subtly Stylish: Black Polka Dot Padfolio Clipboard , $10
Polka dots are the perfect statement when you want to keep things professional, yet add a bit of flair.
3. For the Scheduler: Days of the Week File Folders , $9
Just in case you forget what day of the week it is or when your meeting is happening.
4. For the Rainy Day Lover: Raindrops Ziplock File , $5
When all you can think of is using a Ziploc bag, try this thin zip-up portfolio instead.
5. For the Lightweight: Geometric Canvas Organizer, $24
This handmade portfolio is great for holding a notepad or an iPad—or both!
6. For the Person Who Appreciates Basics: Sugar Paper Padfolio , $15
Everything looks better in stripes—even boring documents.
7. For the Overthinker Who Needs a Reminder:“Think Less Do More” Padfolio , $13
When you need a confidence push before a big presentation.
8. For the All-Gold, All-the-Time Person: Metallic Gold Folio , $14
Because all stars wear gold.
9. For the Wanderluster: World Map File Folders , $16
A great conversation starter for those who love to travel.
10. For the Babbler: Kate Spade Hidden Meanings File Folders , $16
Bonus points if you can actually read what it says.
11. For the Bright and Bubbly: Colorful Leather Padfolio , $25
If you’re a big pop o’ color person, this one’s for you.
12. For the Reader: Multiple Pockets Leather Padfolio , $20
Just enough pockets to hold your favorite magazines and have something to read in the waiting room.
13. For the Person Who Has Everything Monogrammed: Personalized Leather Padfolio , $46
Especially useful for the forgetful.
14. For the Person Whose Phone Always Dies:Hardcover Notebook With Portable Charger , $41
And, if you desperately need to charge your phone or tablet all the time, save yourself the hassle with this portable battery notebook (how cool is that?).
First impressions matter, and when you whip out one of these items, you’ll instantly have something to talk about. Plus, there’s no worry you’ll rip, crinkle, or lose anything in the process.